“Biology is the basic science of living systems. Biology researches all living things and define their growth, evolution, heritage, physiology, ecology, conservation, identification and classification, behaviour, the factors that influence their characteristics and their causality.”
The history of the department dates back to 1948. The zoology and botany chairs of “Advanced Agriculture Institute” were transferred to the Faculty of Science at 1948-1949 semester and the Institute of Botany (founders: Prof. Dr. Krause, Dr. Hikmet Ahmet Birand, Dr. Salahattin Fehmi Kuntay), the Institute of Zoology (founders: Prof. Dr. Wolterek, Dr. Mithat Ali Tolunay) and the Institute of Geology were founded for undergraduate education at Life Sciences. In 1968, it was changed as binary undergraduate education programme as Botany and Zoology. In 1983, with the law no 2547 on Higher Education Council, the Botany and Zoology departments were united under the name of Department of Biology. Today 20 professors, 11 Associate professors, 1 assistant professor, 1 lecturer, 22 research assistants, 1 biologist and 2 specialists conduct basic and applied researches and education in the fields of Biotechnology, Botany, Ecology and Environmental Sciences, General Biology, Hydrobiology, Molecular Biology and Zoology divisions. The senior students of the department are specialized at 5 different disciplines; Botany, Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Hydrobiology, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology and Zoology.
The number of undergraduate students in 2012-2013 academic years is 886 students, 12 of which are foreign. There are also 391 graduate students attending the Master of Science (with or without thesis) and Ph.D. degrees.
The lectures are carried out in 5 classrooms called the Hikmet Birand Amphitheatre, the Mithat Ali Tolunay Amphitheatre (Zoology amphitheatre), the Systematic Classroom 1, the Systematic Classroom 2, and the Botany Classroom. Also the laboratories and the applications of theoretical lectures have been conducted at the D block laboratory (DBL), the Botany laboratory, the Zoology laboratory and the Systematic laboratory.
In our department, basic and applied researches are carriying out totally in seven divisons such as Botany, Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Hydrobiology, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology and Zoology. Plant Physiology Research Laboratory, Animal Physiology Research Laboratory, Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory, Electron Microscopy Preparation Laboratory, Microtechnical Research Laboratory, Ultra-microtome Laboratory, Electrophoresis Laboratory, Animal Breeding Laboratory, Bacteriology Research Laboratory, Biotechnology Research Laboratory, Prokaryote Genetics Laboratory, Microbial Genetics Laboratory, Biochemistry Research Laboratory, Chromatography Research Laboratory, Histology Research Laboratory, Microscopy Laboratory, Plant Ecology Laboratory, Animal Ecology Laboratory, Algology Laboratory, Mamalian Museum, Herbarium, Electron Microscopy Laboratory, Seed Plants Research Laboratory, Photographic Printing Laboratory and Dark Room.
JOB OPPORTUNITIES FOR BIOLOGISTS
Biology is the basic science of living systems. Biologists make researches with living things (experiments, observations, collections, statistics, conservation, control, investigation tests, diagnose and evaluation). Biologists research and define growth, evolution, heritage, physiology, ecology, conservation, identification and classification, behaviour of the living and the factors that influence their characteristics and their causality. They also conduct laboratory and field researches at specialized divisions and have authority and responsibility about these researches. During these researches, biological, mathematical, physical and chemical procedures and appropriate instruments and devices are used. The results are applied to some fields like environment, health, production, education, technology and economy. Biologists deal out to our country by taking heavy responsibility on critically important areas such as environment, education, agriculture, forestry, medicine, health and economy. Especially it is thought that 21st century is the Molecular Biology and Genetics era, biologists have so many responsibilities in the researches at this area. In this context, graduates from Biology department can work for;
- laboratories of private drug and cosmetic companies
- pharmaceutical companies
- chemical substance and instrument marketing companies
- Ministry of Environment and Urban Planning for preparation of Environment Impact Assessment Reports
- Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock
- parks and gardens directorships of municipalities
- various research, development and quality control units of some organizations like; Public Waterworks Administration, Iller Bank, Sap Institute, Turkish Atomic Energy Authority
- also work at clinical laboratories, such as microbiology, biotechnology, haematology, endocrinology and molecular diagnosis and genetics, of state and private hospitals within the Ministry of Health.
- also they can work “In-vitro Fertilization Laboratories” by attending an Embryology Certificate Programme of Ministry of Health.
- Biologists can also attend the graduate programmes of universities, become research assistant during the education and become a part of academic life. Also, they can contribute the scientific world with scholarships in research projects about botany, zoology, microbiology etc. during the graduate education.